Sunday, September 14, 2008

Butterfly Hates Credit Cards

There are several truly evil things in the world, like Hitler, vampires, parsley, and step-mothers. And of the last couple of months, credit card sales people.

Now we all know that vortex of debts credit cards can lure, tease and ditch us in, with promises of gastronomical delights and stunning supercars as prizes. We all know that credit cards are detrimental to our savings accounts and are mutually exclusive to each other, like Louis Vuitton and discounts. And we all know that credit cards look best in black.

For the longest of time I’ve kept my loyalty to American Express, despite the comparative lack of perks and high annual fee. It wasn’t so much that I was a staunch believer of cash, but it was a concoction of laziness and lacking opportunity that kept my wallet shy of a visa.

For the longest of time, I’ve always wanted the DBS black card, but at the same time, I’ve always only had people from Maybank and Standard Chartered calling me about their ‘new’ platinum cards. This went on for like forever and every time I would assert my disinterest for it and remind them not to call me again.

Obviously, they, like all other sales people who are deaf and never understand ‘no’, kept calling me up every month. Sure, they changed the tele-marketers but it was always someone with a funky accent and equally deaf. Till one day,

Tele-sales: “Hi seer, I am cawlling from Starnd-dard chart-tard bunk, and we wood like to ark-stand our plut-ti-niam card to yew.”
Me: “It’s okay, I don’t want it.”
Tele-sales: “Bart why seer? It is free for..”
Me: “I know, I know. I just don’t want it. But hey can you get DBS to call me? I want to apply for a Black card.”

She hung up shortly after and they have since stopped calling me. I made the deaf hear again. I am one amazing human being, more awesome than David Blaine.

I finally did get down to applying my DBS cards and it went from my primary objective to get one card to getting an entire collection of cards that I will never get to use. So much so that I will soon have so many cards in my wallet that if I put all the magnetic strips together, I will qualify as the new North Pole.

Sales: “So what credit cards are you looking at?”
Me: “What do I qualify for.”
Sales: “That will be all of them. I will recommend you take, this..this..this and this.”
Me: “Do I need that many?”

He went on to tell me specific perks for each of them and all I heard was, “discounts off drinks and one-for-one” and I was sold like a slave to a colonial tea plantation willing to work without lunch.

These guys are pure evil beings with eyes that pierce your very soul and scour your weaknesses. He had me by the nuts. How could I - knowing it to be a cardinal sin - turn down anything that gets me twice the amount of drinks with the same amount of money?

This guy was so good, he could convince Michael Jackson go back to being black again. And the next thing I know, I’m taking on cards I have never heard of before. I knew then that if I stayed to chat with him more over coffee, he might have convinced me to buy a camel and trade in my car.

That said, I was never against the idea of having multiple credit cards. When I was working part time as a tele-marketer for Ready Credit 9 years ago with Huixx, I never understood why anyone would turn down something that was free.

We were offering free usage of a credit facility and throwing in a Gianfranco Ferre pen prized at $129, when in reality it cost $15, and some G-shock replicas from China that lasted just long enough for an erection. Like, how can you possibly say no to these?

Just keep it for a year and cancel it when the waiver period is up.”

That became my best selling formula.

Then just last night over dinner I was telling the guys about how amazingly fast CitiBank processed their credit card application and the reason why I signed up for two of their cards, which supposedly gave some pretty good perks.

Faith: “It’s all the same one. Trust me.”
Me: “Huh, are you sure?”
Faith: “What dividend card, what clear card.. all the same. You just need to carry one card out.”
Me: “Fuck…”

Me: “But there are some cards which can help you earn flyer miles right??”
Germ: “Yep, I checked on those, but apparently it isn’t even good, cos you sacrifice one component..”
Me: “What?!”

Fuck me backwards. I am now a victim of credit card dependency. I better fucking win a supercar next year, or I will be VERY pissed.

5 Comments:

At 11:22 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

longchamp outlet online, michael kors outlet online, burberry outlet online, jordan shoes, ray ban outlet, christian louboutin shoes, gucci handbags, louboutin shoes, coach outlet, louis vuitton outlet online, nike shoes, michael kors outlet online, coach purses, red bottom shoes, louis vuitton outlet, michael kors outlet store, louis vuitton outlet, oakley vault, polo ralph lauren, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, coach outlet, prada handbags, nike free, longchamp outlet, nike air max, kate spade outlet online, louis vuitton, polo ralph lauren outlet, true religion, tiffany and co jewelry, burberry outlet online, kate spade handbags, coach outlet store online, chanel handbags, christian louboutin outlet, michael kors outlet online, prada outlet, oakley sunglasses, michael kors outlet online, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton handbags, cheap oakley sunglasses, nike air max, michael kors outlet

 
At 2:09 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louis vuitton, oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, nike outlet, prada handbags, ugg boots, michael kors outlet, kate spade outlet, ray ban sunglasses, louis vuitton outlet, uggs on sale, oakley sunglasses, christian louboutin outlet, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses, gucci outlet, tiffany jewelry, michael kors, michael kors outlet, louboutin shoes, louis vuitton, michael kors outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, ugg boots, replica watches, burberry outlet online, cheap oakley sunglasses, jordan shoes, nike air max, nike free, longchamp, replica watches, nike air max, chanel handbags, michael kors outlet, louboutin, louis vuitton outlet, burberry, louis vuitton

 
At 2:11 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, coach purses, hogan, michael kors, sac longchamp, lacoste pas cher, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, abercrombie and fitch, coach outlet, sac guess, hermes, ralph lauren pas cher, coach factory outlet, michael kors, lululemon, nike blazer, nike air max, nike free, ralph lauren uk, air force, new balance pas cher, air jordan pas cher, true religion jeans, converse pas cher, nike roshe, north face, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, vans pas cher, nike roshe run, michael kors, michael kors, ray ban uk, nike free run uk, oakley pas cher, hollister pas cher, nike air max, nike air max, timberland, kate spade handbags, tn pas cher, coach outlet, longchamp pas cher, air max, north face, mulberry, burberry, true religion outlet, hollister

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

kobe bryants shoes
cheap football shirts
michael kors outlet online
rolex watches outlet
air jordan 13
tory burch outlet online
north face outlet
swarovski crystal
rolex watches,rolex,watches for men,watches for women,omega watches,replica watches,rolex watches for sale,rolex replica,rolex watch,cartier watches,rolex submariner,fake rolex,rolex replica watches,replica rolex
polo ralph lauren
discount ugg boots
canada goose outelt
michael kors wallet sale
tommy hilfiger
ysl outlet
air force 1 shoes
ugg outlet uk
fred perry polo shirts
coach outlet store
coach outlet store

 
At 1:53 PM, Anonymous Pengobatan Scabies Secara Alami said...


Thanks for the information, this is very useful. Allow me to share a health article here, which gods are beneficial to us. Thank you :)

Obat Penghilang Jerawat dan Bekasnya
Cara Menyembuhkan Batuk Berkepanjangan
Cara Mengobati Pengapuran Tulang
Obat Pengapuran Otak pada Anak
Cara Mengatasi Mata Bengkak
Obat Herpes Zoster

 

Post a Comment

<< Home