Monday, December 01, 2008

Hello, I'm Getting Hitched

I’m getting married.”

These words never fail to carry the chill of reality into my world of insouciance. And I hate it, not when my friends say it, but when people whom I’ve dated before tell me with brimming mirth that I actually wonder if they know what they are getting themselves into.

It’s like being in a departmental store shopping and you are picking out the best outfits and you don’t really know what you want so you carry a bunch of them along. Then you go into the fitting room and you try them out and you know you can only pick one, so you set aside the ones that although fits you well but you’re just not sure if you like that colour enough.

Then you go back to browsing and someone comes along and buys that outfit. And that’s it.

I always figured that people would always be around. You know, like even if they got attached, there was always going to be a chance that it would fuck up eventually and they’ll come back around at the right time.

Or by that, it seems that I have been such an emotional scar that women would leave hope of my reform in abandonment and steer a course of pursuit for stability and security in men. And there I was still thinking that a good tease and oral fellatio were still merits that women look for in a man.

So what now? They get married, and we can no longer have a quick rendezvous in the back seat of the car? Will the wrath of retribution come doubly hard, because cheating in a marriage is infinitely more grievous since it’s become a stigma?

Maybe life is meant to continue with flaws. I am not suppose to throw away shirts even if they have been stippled with stains, because I might have been too focused on them that I missed the beauty of the fabric.

I’ve never enjoyed the news of an impending marital bliss when it comes from people whom I have been romantically involved in. And by that, I mean relationships that consisted of an equal portioning of sex, laughter and arguments. Even when love has faded, memories still makes this harder to swallow than Sunday communion.

He proposed.”

And my immediate reaction was to pause for a quick prayer that intelligence would not fall to a diamond ring. Reflex response has never been my most sociable attribute and even under a full coat of sobriety, nothing good really comes out my mouth.

Me: “Please tell me you said, no.”

Obviously it never pens out that way, because real life is hardly a magnet for drama, unless of course you jump into the lion’s den.

There was however a chain of coincidences because my mother was only just bringing up the whole marriage speech to me and I see this as a progress because 10 years ago, that talk was born from a worry that I might be gay because I wasn’t seeing any girl. Then 6 years ago when I was in a relationship, it was about ‘keeping the options open’ – I swear I thought my mum was the coolest then.

Then 2 years ago, it was about ‘finding someone special’ because she got tired of the plurality of my life and there was just too many for her to keep track. Then now, against ineluctable dawn of aging, she has decided to pitch a marriage talk to me even when I’ve been single for over 3 years.

In truth, it was like a nostalgic revisit of the dating annals.

She: “What happened to that girl driving the white car?”
Me: “She’s psycho mum. Do you want your grandchild to stab you in your sleep?”
She: “I like ‘Fire Engine’.”
Me: “She’s getting married. Too bad for you.”
She: “Then the one last Chinese New Year?”
Me: “The one I thought was damn hot and you didn’t?”
She: “Was she that pretty?”
Me:Yes, FHM thought so. You didn’t.”

When I told LB about it, he met the news with laughter, which I didn’t see coming. He was amused on the fact that I seemed more like the rude awakening for women, because there was building evidence that women tend to get married fast after they have dated me.

LB: “You know what? People who want to get married early should just start off by dating you.”

Perhaps I had a higher calling in life. My role, other than to be an asshole, was to drive women so far down the despairs of dating that anyone that came after me would be like an iced Milo truck in the desert. As it seems, people who get over me, always come out of it stronger and smarter than when they plunged in.

And me, being me, will never let it slide this easily. I’m taking the wedding invitation and I’ll make up for that over the open bar they hopefully have and I’m extending my hand in congratulations, but it will come with a whisper.

Indecent proposals have just been made the new black.

10 Comments:

At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like this post very much. abit vulnerable and so true on the clothes analogy. most of all, i like your bitchy ending.

pls update if you do ruin the wedding.

kisses

 
At 2:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Butterfly,

Its quite sad that the quality of your writing as of the last month has been becoming consistently stale and vapid (and i mean that in a disappointed fan, don't mean no disrespect kinda way). It is understandable that after writing up much an artist is bound to run dry on creativity and we clearly see that in you writing and You would agree with me were you to self critically examine your own work.

Perhaps a sabbatical from writing will do you wonders. Now don't go crying into your mothers arms. Get your act back together again dude.

 
At 2:21 PM, Blogger (T) (H) (B) said...

I like that last line... Anw, write what u want on ur blog. People like me still read. =)

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You said it HB. Read from the beginnings, and continue reading till the end. It'll be a good one.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger Rambling Alcoholic said...

i like your milo truck analogy. and it happens.

i personally know a guy whose last 3 ex-gfs married the subsequent guy who came along...

but there is a twist...

2 of them are divorced now.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger oakleyses said...

babyliss pro, soccer jerseys, canada goose outlet, herve leger, birkin bag, lululemon outlet, bottega veneta, asics shoes, insanity workout, moncler, roshe run, ugg, jimmy choo shoes, ugg outlet, ferragamo shoes, canada goose outlet, canada goose uk, wedding dresses, canada goose, giuseppe zanotti, mac cosmetics, p90x workout, ugg soldes, uggs outlet, canada goose pas cher, new balance outlet, north face jackets, valentino shoes, instyler ionic styler, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, ghd, abercrombie and fitch, mcm handbags, beats headphones, soccer shoes, uggs on sale, moncler, reebok outlet, nfl jerseys, mont blanc pens, marc jacobs outlet, north face outlet, ugg boots, vans outlet, hollister, moncler, moncler outlet, chi flat iron, celine handbags

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

2015-10-22 xiaozhengm
Jordan Retro 13 Pink And Grey
UK Louis Vuitton Handbag Outlet
fitflops
michael kors uk
michael kors outlet online
Jordan Retro 8 Playoffs
Christian Louboutin Outlet Authentic Sneakers Online
canada goose jackets
ugg boots australia
ugg boots sale
Jordan Retro 8 Playoffs
Abercrombie Short T-Shirts
Michael Kors Factory Outlet Online Official
Coach Outlet Official Website
Kobe Basketball Shoes For Sale
Designer Handbags Louis Vuitton
uggs australia
air max 95
oakley sunglasses,oakley vault,prescription sunglasses,polarized sunglasses,aviator sunglasses,spy sunglasses,oakleys,oakley canada,cheap oakley sunglasses,oakley frogskins,oakley holbrook,cheap sunglasses,wayfarer sunglasses,oakley standard issue,fake oakleys,oakley glasses,oakley.com,oakley prescription glasses,oakley goggles,sunglasses for men,oakley gascan,oakley store,oakleys sunglasses
Ugg Boots,Ugg Boots Outlet,Ugg Outlet,Cheap Uggs,Uggs On Sale,Ugg Boots Clearance,Uggs For Women
ugg boots
uggs on sale
celine bag
Coach Factory Outlet Online Authentic
cheap oakley sunglasses
Michael Kors Outlet Online USA Stores
uggs australia
ugg boots
michael kors outlet
louis vuitton outlet

 
At 2:25 PM, Blogger oakleyses said...

louboutin pas cher, coach purses, hogan, michael kors, sac longchamp, lacoste pas cher, true religion jeans, vanessa bruno, abercrombie and fitch, coach outlet, sac guess, hermes, ralph lauren pas cher, coach factory outlet, michael kors, lululemon, nike blazer, nike air max, nike free, ralph lauren uk, air force, new balance pas cher, air jordan pas cher, true religion jeans, converse pas cher, nike roshe, north face, true religion jeans, ray ban pas cher, vans pas cher, nike roshe run, michael kors, michael kors, ray ban uk, nike free run uk, oakley pas cher, hollister pas cher, nike air max, nike air max, timberland, kate spade handbags, tn pas cher, coach outlet, longchamp pas cher, air max, north face, mulberry, burberry, true religion outlet, hollister

 
At 9:50 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

kobe bryants shoes
cheap football shirts
michael kors outlet online
rolex watches outlet
air jordan 13
tory burch outlet online
north face outlet
swarovski crystal
rolex watches,rolex,watches for men,watches for women,omega watches,replica watches,rolex watches for sale,rolex replica,rolex watch,cartier watches,rolex submariner,fake rolex,rolex replica watches,replica rolex
polo ralph lauren
discount ugg boots
canada goose outelt
michael kors wallet sale
tommy hilfiger
ysl outlet
air force 1 shoes
ugg outlet uk
fred perry polo shirts
coach outlet store
coach outlet store

 
At 11:45 AM, Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

nike huarache
buffalo bills jerseys
sac longchamp
washington redskins jerseys
under armour shoes
ed hardy outlet
ray bans
michael kors handbags
cheap jordans
2017.3.12

 

Post a Comment

<< Home